What is tourism?
It is generally considered a leisure trip; Although in recent years, it includes any travel; People who participate in tourism are called tourists; The term “tourism” arose when the middle class began to travel; As people became more financially capable and lived longer; This has become possible.
Most tourists are interested in the climate, culture, or nature of their destination; The rich have always traveled far and wide, not casually, but ultimately with a purpose; For example, to see famous buildings and sculptures, learn new languages, and taste different foods; Today, organized tourism is a vital industry worldwide.
Tourism is a process that takes place during travel, which includes obtaining information; planning and preparation at the beginning of the trip; traveling to and staying at the destination; buying host and guest interactions; going back to the origin of the journey and reviewing memories of the journey with oneself and with others; In this process; A set of tasks and activities among tourists; providers of tourism services and products; Policy makers and hosts happen.
The United Nations has introduced three types of tourism:
- Domestic tourism is the travel of one country’s citizens to different parts.
- Inbound tourism is the travel of citizens of other countries to a country
- Citizens of one country trip external tourism to other countries
Developed countries and societies have plans for the balanced prosperity of all three forms of tourism; In other words, their tourists visit their country, travel to other countries, and welcome tourists from other countries; Maintaining a kind of balance between these three types of tourism guarantees the interests of countries in the domestic, regional and international dimensions.
And tourism itself has various types, whose form and quality vary according to the motivation, goals, needs, and location of the tourist; Sometimes, a tourist travels to experience danger; sometimes to relax; Sometimes, he travels for treatment, sometimes for education; sometimes he wants to go far, sometimes close and for dozens of other reasons; Because of this, various forms of it have been formed, such as adventure tourism, sports, entertainment, business, agriculture, health, winter, ecotourism, etc.
Definitions and Meanings of Tourism
According to Mcintosh&Goeldner (1986), tourism is a group of events and relationships that result from the friendly relationships of tourists, business suppliers, governments, and host communities in the process of attracting and receiving guests.
Job Creation in Tourism
Types of tourism
- Recreational tourism: The most common kind of tourism.
- Medical Tourism: To take advantage of hot mineral waters or to take advantage of the diagnostic and
- treatment facilities of countries with this capability.
- Religious tours: pilgrimages, Buddhist/Hindu religious tours, etc.
- Market tourism: sightseeing to buy and sell goods.
- Conference tours: attending conferences and visiting areas.
- Electronic tourism: same as e-tourism, which involves getting information and most of the travel virtually.
- Ecotourism: traveling to nature
- Sports tourism: for a specific sport or international competition
The evolution of tourism
From the beginning of human existence, people probably started to travel; Food, water, security, or access to resources (trade) are among the primary motivations for their journey; But the idea of traveling for pleasure and discovery came later; Travel always depends on the technology used, which provides the means of travel and the means of travel; Primitive travelers were riding from domestic animals.
The invention of the wheel and the ship was a method or means of transportation; Every improvement in technology gives people the opportunity to travel; As roads improved and the government stabilized, interest in traveling for educational, recreational, and religious purposes grew; One of the earliest travel guides was a ten-volume travel guide to Greece written in 170 AD by a Greek named Pausanias of Lod, used for Roman tourists.
Tourism is the set of activities, services, and industries that provide travel opportunities, including transportation, convenience, food and beverage, retail outlets, entertainment activities, and other health services provided to individuals or groups. They are the ones who are far from home.
Specific terms are used to describe tourists
- Excursionists: People who travel for pleasure in less than 24 hours.
- Foreign tourist: any person who visits a country other than where they usually live for at least 24 hours.
- Travel: The act of moving away from home for pleasure or business.
The type and availability of means of transport determine the travel destination. The development of the transport system also determines the outcome of the suppliers. These systems are listed below:
- The wheelbarrow was invented in Hungary in 1500 AD
- The railway (1825) passenger train was first used in England
- Boats and ships (in use 400 BC, but the first ocean liner was launched in 1840)
- Henry Ford Model T car (1908)
- Air Travel (1919) mat Lufthansa Airlines
- Spaceflight (2015) Estimated date of passengers traveling to the sub-Earth space
Definition of tourism according to the World Tourism Organization
In 1995, the World Tourism Organization gave the final definition of tourism as the travel of a person or persons to a place other than their usual residence for at least one night and at least one set of activities. Year, the purpose of the trip. They also spend their free time; Of course, it does not include goals such as employment and profit,” and based on this definition of tourism, those who fall under it are called tourists.